Event: Research Presentation Day
Date: Saturday 18 April 2020, 10am for 10.30am
Location: Discovery Point, Dundee
Deadline for abstract: 2 March 2020
Graduate Women Scotland (GWS) is holding its 15th annual Research Presentation Day. Each year we invite women postgraduate researchers to speak to a non-specialist audience about their current projects. This year’s Research Presentation day will be on Saturday 18 April 2020, at Discovery Point in Dundee.
The event is an opportunity for the speakers to reach out to the public about their work in a friendly and supportive environment. Each selected student will give a 15-minute presentation on their research (in any field) with 5 minutes at the end for questions. A diverse panel of academics will be in attendance, as well as members of the public, to provide feedback to the speakers.
There will also be an opportunity for some students to present a poster instead of giving a presentation.
Abstracts are due by 2 March, and all shortlisted speakers will be notified by 18 March via the email submitted. The selection process for invited speakers will be by peer review. Those presenting will be able to claim travel for the journey to the presentation, and lunch will be provided.
Graduate Women Scotland works to promote the advancement of women and girls worldwide through education. GWS is a part of GWI which has consultative status with the UN. The local association, Graduate Women Scotland East, will be hosting this year’s Research Presentation Day.
For more information on how to apply please see below.
To apply, please submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
University and School/Department:
Field of Study:
Qualification currently being pursued, and year of study:
Estimate of travel expenses (this amount will not impact shortlisting; it is for budgetary reasons only):
For those wishing to give a presentation:
- Please note time preference, if any (morning or afternoon)
- Please submit a 350 word abstract
For those wishing to present a poster:
- Please submit a 350 word summary of your work
If you are not shortlisted to give a presentation, would you be interested in presenting a poster instead?
Information for presentations:
- Each presentation is to be 15 minutes in length
- 5 minutes at the end will be allotted for question and answer
- All slides must be in the form of Power Point (PPT)
- PPTs must be emailed at least two days in advance of the presentation
- Presenters will not be permitted to use their own laptop to show slides, except under special circumstances
Information for poster presenters:
- Posters must be in Portrait and printed on A2 paper
- Posters should be brought with you (not sent in advance)
- Those presenting a poster must arrive by 10am to have posters hung
- There will be no formal poster session, but there will be opportunities to discuss your work and the posters during the lunch