Several of our GWSEast and GWS members travelled to Geneva in July to attend the Graduate Women International Conference.
While certainly a time of fellowship, the days spent in Geneva also highlighted how GWS is part of a larger international remit. Part of the conference was the GWI Triennial General Meeting, and it was attended by over 400 delegates from more than 50 countries, including 9 from Scotland.
The GWI GA adopted eight new policy resolutions as the basis of the GWI advocacy priorities.
- Diversity in Teacher Education as a Positive Contribution to an Equitable Education
- Building Peace through Women’s Education
- Sexual and Reproductive Health Education as a Human Right for All
- Women and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
- Human Rights for Refugees and Migrant Women and Children
- Fair and Non-Discriminatory Management of Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Fighting against Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
- Sustainable Development Goals, also known as Global Goals
These goals along with our already existing resolutions will play a key role in the activism of our local groups.